Wednesday, September 14, 2011

That sweet feeling: Get out of da Saddle!

Saturday 10 Sept: Hawthorn Trophy Race at South Gisborne circuit. The last road race for the season on the calendar for me. I had yet to win a women's race. One more chance this season. Gotta give it my best shot.


Somehow, I was feeling relaxed and confident that day. A couple days of taper meant the legs were feeling fresh - really fresh. I had raced that circuit earlier in July after a holiday - ended up getting dropped a couple of laps into the race on the climb. Ah yes, that dreaded 1.1km 5.6% climb. Just seems to go on for ages. And multiple repeats. Nah - no negative thoughts today. I've stuck to the training throughout winter - I'm going to finish strong today. Going to get to the bunch sprint.  Just gotta focus. 
Rolling out of the startline on neutral lap (Photo by Shane Miller)

With the starting line filled mainly by the SKCC chicks and most of us knowing each other, it was a pretty fun atmosphere at the start line. The first 4ks including the climb were neutral  - and with a strong wind that day - everyone started rolling turns and working together. Having now  done a few road races, I used that opportunity to work out the best line to take on each section of the course. 


And so 7 laps of the 8.5km circuit. 7 hill climbs. The race started out at an easy pace, and as soon as everyone got into the rhythm, we started rolling turns. Nearly everyone played a part in keeping the turns smooth. 


The 1.5km 3.4% descend was one word - fun! I took off from the peloton on each descend - crouching fully into the aero position, no energy wasted - zooming down the road - feeling the rush of adrenaline from the cold wind on each one of them. And after each one, I sat up - had some drink or some food to eat and waited till the peloton rolled close. With the strong winds - today wasn't one to attempt a breakaway. I'd pull turns up the front, push the pace just a little higher each time I was up there - but held back on attacks that were going to deplete my energy.  I wanted that bunch sprint - really wanted to get to the end. 

Somehow the hill today wasn't as bad as it seemed a few months ago. In recent months, I had discovered a climbing technique that best suited my riding style - and found I could continuously spin the pedals over. Rather than thinking 'oh crap, not another climb' - I was relaxed today - and thought 'i've been training hard on climbs, it's just like riding a heavier gear.' Unlike previous races where I would be hanging out the back, with a cross-wind, I actually found it easier riding up the front and pulling the peloton on each climb. Funnily enough, it actually felt better setting the pace. 

Lap after lap after lap. These sorts of races are both physically and mentally draining. Doing the same loop over and over again was good in that I could tell where the best lines were - at the same time, it was long enough that I really had to be absolutely focused to stay in the race. 2 laps to go - time for some final fuel before the finish. I needed all the energy I could get for a power sprint finish. 


Final lap - legs were still feeling good. I tried to attack. Attack once, attack twice, and a third time. Could not quite get a break. 'Patience, patience - save it till the end!' 5ks to go - the last climb of the day before the finish. Someone else took the lead on the climb and started to push the pace up. I immediately jumped on - and was 3rd wheel down. We managed a small break. I was starting to breathe hard. HR was starting to race. Hmm...shouldn't have attacked too much earlier on.  'Just relax - don't tense up- put all that energy into the legs.' I tried as best to focus on spinning over the pedals, and relaxing my breathing - and held on to the break.


Just before the peak, I caught a glimpse of the finish line a few hundred metres ahaed. With every ounce of energy I had left, I got out of the saddle and jumped. I managed to just kick away from the 2 riders I was with and sprinted for the finish. The lactic acid had built up so quickly that I had to momentarily sit down. In between the hard breathing and my mates cheering on the sideline,  I could almost picture my track coach yell 'Get out of the saddle!!" I saw the line. With one last kick, I stood up again and gave it everything I had. 


And finally - the past few months of training - I have been waiting for this one moment.  That sweet feeling of victory of finally being the first across the line. Finally achieved the goal I'd set out for this season. Finally.

With the rest of the podium winners after the race
Setting goals are definitely important. Work, sport, life, study - whatever it is. Realistic goals, well-defined goals- yet ones that will push you that one bit further. Along the way there will be falls.  But yet, it is to stand up each time, learn from each one of them - and continue believing, continue thriving. And when you finally achieve them - there's nothing sweeter than that feeling of winning. And so a milestone finally set- a goal achieved. A new one's already lurking in the air. I'm already dreaming of that finish. It's time to start training - and continue believing.










No comments:

Post a Comment