Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sprint!

Sat 20 Aug: Sun-filled weekends are starting to fill the air - spring and summer's nearly here - for club racing in Aus, well that means criterium season's just around the corner!! Mention crits - and there's almost a sparkle in my eye, a grin across my face. Big pelotons, tight corners, multiple laps, bunch sprints -it's fast, and there's heaps of adrenaline!!

As soon as I heard Blackburn Club was organising a Women's Grade crit out at Casey Fields, a purpose built criterium course, I jumped at the chance to race. Traffic was heavier than expected, and I only ended up managing a 1 lap warm-up. Corners were long on this course - meaning having to soft pedal through some, and the head wind out the back straight wasn't welcomed either. 
  
The race started out at a fairly decent pace - a few attacks were launched but the bunch always managed to pull them back. With everyone holding their lines well, it made for a good race. It was tempting to attempt a few attacks, but knowing I didn't have much of a warm up, the leg muscles probably wouldn't welcome those jumps. Ok, sit tight. 

35 mins. 2 more laps to go. Focus. HR was starting to race. The long laps were really testing my patience. Final lap. I got up near the front. Ready to go any moment. Out of the last corner, I stood up and sprinted. Oh no - way too late. I was already over-revving and didn't even have time to click into my sprint gear. 4th place. Not too bad for a first time on the course 

Being chased down (Photo by StillWatersPhotography)
The excitement had already started to build up, and I was keen to have another crack. The men were starting right after us - I quickly popped down a few lollies and off I was on another race. This time round, I was already well warmed-up and decided to throw in some attacks. And so attack after attack after attack. Someone would go off the front - I would chase and attempt a 2-man break. There was one break where I went off with a young kid - we ended up working together for about 2 laps before being brought back by the bunch. Good on those kids with restricted gears - gosh, they would be flying if they had the same gearing as we did.

Last lap - position - focus on the wheel in front. Out of the last corner, I was already in a full blown sprint. 50m from the line - didn't realise a rider had gone earlier. Battling for 2nd place. Someone swerved - my front wheel fliipped 30deg - lucky I managed to yank it back upright. Phew. Ended up 3rd place - and I was on a total adrenaline high.

2 races back to back - 2 places - maybe I would have needed 2 more races to place 2nd and 1st. =)
Been slowly building up the engine - and now it's about building up the experience. Different races, different tactics, different riders - each and every race has their moments, their excitement, their learning experience.

Can't wait for summer crit racing!! 
Winners are grinners (L-R: James Dunn (Canard), myself, Michael Holder (MelbUni))


2 comments: