Saturday, April 9, 2011

Just ranting..

Been a great week of training on the bike. With daylight savings ended, the early morning bike sessions are starting to be much nicer now riding into the sunrise.

Though a session earlier in the week was a bit of a shock to the system. With the cold air starting to bite a little, I had thrown on an extra t-shirt underneath my jersey. Still in half finger gloves and an old pair of cotton socks, I hit Kew Blvd for a training ride.

Unlike other sessions where I'd usually warm up pretty quickly once I had gotten moving, I just got colder and colder as the session went on. Before I knew it, I could not feel my fingers or my feet. And no matter how hard I tried to warm up, or how hard I pedalled - my extremeties were just absolutely numb!

Being that cold, it took so much more mental focus to even stay on the bike - what more to focus on the training session. I tried distracting myself with the awesome view of hot air balloons rising with the sun, but it sure was tough when you can barely use your fingers to pull on the brakes, or feel the pedals beneath your feet. It's times like these where you are just totally dependent on your muscle memory to bring you through.

Despite only being able to find my feet again more than hour after the session (the hot cup of coffee after did help my fingers), that training session was a great experience. I certainly learned to appreciate the simple beauty of the pedalling rhythm. And learned that the mind can be much stronger than what your sensors are telling you. Turns out it wasn't such a bad session after all.

Looks like it's time for some retail therapy this week for some new warm clothing! =)

Anyways, there was no bike racing this weekend - though the Swim Champs today was great fun. Did some PBs..collected some great bookmarks...and certainly watched in awe at some of the really quick guys break national records in the pool.

Oh and another good news ...will be racing one more criterium next weekend! Looks like season isn't over just yet. Certainly can't wait!












My ribbon bookmark collection from today's swim meet...

No comments:

Post a Comment