Friday, April 1, 2011

A week of 2nds..

Mid-week racing is awesome! Raced down at the Sandown race track this time round. Whole new different course, different riders -- different strategy.

Manager was really nice and could get out of work earlier than I was going to. In some ways, I do feel pretty lucky having a job that is supportive of my ambitions. A little time to breath and re-check my gear was good. Managed to beat rush hour traffic, and got to the course an hour before race time.

Sandown crit is a little different than the usual crit course I was used to. Course was much longer meaning less corners, and much wider too. Being my first time down at this course, I made sure I tried to gather as much info as I could on my warm up laps. A little hill on the back end of the course into the headwind. A stong tailwind on the finishing straight. Jane, one of the SKCC race team girls pointed out the spots where attacks were most likely to happen. More experienced riders know this, and are always more than willing to share. All you have to do is ask, and listen.

Race time! All girls from all grades were bunched together. Prizes were awarded to top finishers in each grade. Was great to be racing with some of the elite and more experienced riders. A few top riders tried to do solo breaks, but with the wind factor this wasn't going to work. A couple of laps in, I knew the drill. 2 places on the course riders would attempt attacks - into the headwind, and with the tailwind. But it's been a month since myfirst open race. I have learned lots since then, the training has been making a difference and I've started gaining confidence.

And this time I was ready to counter attack. If there were any breaks, I wanted to be in them. Every time the front riders heighten their pace I followed. The riders in front pulled out a drink bottle, I followed. Different to Sunday's race, I wasn't calling the shots or setting the pace. Different races requires different strategies.

Final bell came - the pace edged up. Things were also getitng a little edgy at the back of the bunch. Everyone wanted to push for the front. I knew I had to hold onto the wheel in front of me tight. Final lap means no mistakes. You have to be extremely focused. And it was to be a bunch sprint finish.

Out of the last corner, I started the sprint. I saw the wheel in front of me, and tried to crank up my revs. I glanced up, and not again - I spotted the finish line too close. Again, I had underestimated my ability to get onto the sprint earl
ier. And so, 2nd place it was. Looks like it's a week of 2nds for me.

Each race is a new discovery
. Each week I try to find my maximum effort, try to find my top speed. And believing that one day I will - that's already one step forward.

Final crit of the season is just around the corner. SKCC Club Champs - bring it on!



A little extra gear money....







No comments:

Post a Comment