Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fun in the pouring rain!


6pm. I had just ridden home from work. Roads were wet - it has just started drizzling again.

Texted my coach: "Raining. Is training still on?" 5 mins..no reply. Done - means he's on his way. Time for some bit of fun in the rain! =)

As I hit the road, the back of my knicks started getting wet.. eekk! Mayb
e I should have fix on my mud guard. Or if only they made waterproof knicks. Oh well, just deal with it.

The bridges along the Yarra trail were pretty slippery, so I rode a little slower. It was getting pretty dark, and the thought of slipping and falling into the yucky river wasn't all that appealing. One other cyclist on his way from work rode past me. I quickly laughed that thought off and just rode faster.

Met my coach, and we decided to change the training session as the roads were pretty icky. "Do you want to try the Hawthorn velodrome?" '"Oh yeah!"

First ever session on the velodrome was quite an experience. Getting on for one - it was only a tiny slope on that outdoor velodrome, but somehow I pictured it being slippery.
Well, it did look a lot steeper in the dark. I unclipped, made sure my bike was facing the right direction, and made it down to the inside lane.

I kept on looking down at the road in front me - one, a little afraid I was going to fall off, and two, I didn't want to hit any bumps. 3 laps later, I was starting to get pretty dizzy, and the thought of thr
owing up wasn't all that appealing. Realising the asphalt was pretty safe in the wet, and there was no debris around, I quickly looked straight ahead. 2 more laps in - I was actually starting to enjoy the velodrome and was just about ready to start picking up the pace. And the heavy rain came.

We decided to call it a night, and rode home. As we split ways, the rain started to pour a little heavier. By now, I was actually enjoying the quick pace from the slippery roads, and rode even faster. Drivers in cars were giving way as they saw me in the wet - probably thinking I was a little crazy to be riding out there. A pair of goggles would have been just perfect. But I couldn't care less about the spit in my eyes - it was just so much fun zooming down the roads in the rain!!

As I arrived near home, the rain had reduced to a drizzle. Feeling good and not wanting the fun to end, I decided to add a couple more laps around Albert Park lake. Watching the cool little water fountain coming off my front wheel, hearing the laughter of the nearby soccer team as they kicked the ball around in the mud, and feeling like you're going 10ks faster than you actually are: it's times like this when you find your
self amazed at what this sport of cycling can bring. I felt like a young kid again - with absolutely no worries in the world - just out to have some fun in the rain!

Well, cleaning up my bike after wasn't all that great..but wiping down every bit of dirt from it was definitely worth every bit of fun I had tonight! =)






1 comment:

  1. :) Riding in the rain's fun as long as you can stay warm. Last year I did a ride in hours of heavy rain and even some hail and it was good fun. Last Saturday I was out in the rain for hours and cold and not so much fun.

    I've ridden the velodrome at Burwood East a bit (Blackburn club's), takes some getting used to but then it's a good way to get some suffering.

    ReplyDelete