Sunday, October 9, 2011

Muddy spray..

Sun 9 Oct: Woke up to overnight rain and wet roads. Rain had stopped. Good - that meant the crits were still on. 


Women's A Grade - 12 starters today. Though we did have Aus's 2008 ITT champ Bridie O'Donnell who had been riding in the pro peloton in Europe amongst the mix today. Cool! The wet roads meant the corners were a little sketchy and there was crap all over the ground.  


About a third way through a break managed to form. Soon 3 riders were in the 10s break. The peloton constantly kept them in sight and held pace, no one wanting to bridge just yet. Nevertheless, our bunch kept on shrinking with one after another dropping off from flat tyres. 


Just as we were settling into a rhythm to start chasing down the break, a crash happened in the other grade, and we were put on neutral for 1 lap. But the group of riders in the break did not slow down! Within half a lap, the gap had grown to 30s, and we lost sight of the riders in front. The race for a place was pretty much over then - and it was soon a race amongst ourselves. 


Last lap - I took the lead and pulled the bunch. Out of the final corner, did a semi-sprint to the finish line - a race for a place was no longer in contention and I was keen to save my legs for the next race. Finished 2nd in the bunch. Oh well, got to learn to spot the breaks next time. 
"Concentration..." (Photo by Marisa Farrell
"Working hard to bridge" (Photo by Marisa Farrell)




Men's D grade - must have been about 40 riders. It had started pissing down again, meaning the roads were now even wetter. They decided to let us ride around on neutral till it was safe to bring it up to race pace. 15 minutes of neutral riding - the rain eventually stopped - we were brought to a halt and real racing begun. 


From the go - the pace was high. It was almost like everyone had that inner kid in them wanting to break lose. With lots of water still on the road, everyone was braking before the corners. Argh - it was so annoying! Brake - chase - brake - chase. 


With the neutral riding, I had no idea how long we were racing for. The commisaire wasn't sure at the start either. As one point, one guy with a bike 4 sizes bigger tried to push me off the wheel I was on - his handlebars ended up hooking onto my arm. Bugger. I held firm and pushed back. I wasn't to let that wheel go. No bullying mate! 


Didn't see the 3 laps to go sign and before I knew it, the final lap bell rung. Oh crap, I had just lost a couple of spots with one rider blowing up in front of me. I tried as best as I could to make up the lost spots, but with the race pace gone up significantly, could not quite get near the front going into the final corner. Finished about 10 or so. 


With the wet roads, it made for a somewhat sketchy day of racing - though good fun nonetheless. Mud and spray all over - it certainly looked like I had just been back from mountain biking. A flat on my tubulars meant I had to walk the final k home. Eek! Some sealant by BikeNow mechanic did the trick and won't need new tyres just yet.  Cleaned my bike for the 2nd time in 2 days - hopefully this spring rain goes away soon! 



10 comments:

  1. Ummm think you must have been in a different race to me..... I suppose things seem easy when you spend the whole race sitting in. Maybe try putting your nose in the wind next race and see what really happens up the front!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it right - it's a different 'race' and you can choose how you play your cards. Neither was I riding for someone either. And no offense, but no one said you couldn't try sitting on my wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wheel would probably be the sketchiest place to sit in the whole bunch, I'll pass thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous: I think you need to learn some race craft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous 1: suits you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little more respect for those you're racing would probably be a wise move.
    Instead of just sitting in in club crits and expecting others to chase down breaks, actually have a go yourself. You'll never improve until you do. You'll also just piss everyone off until you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely get your point and I certainly have been trying different things out each week and slowly chasing down a break or 2/start contributing to the race.
    It does take time (This exact race was only my 2nd race in A by the way and I've only been riding for 7 mths?) and my learning thus far has been trying to get a feel for the pace, learning patience, recognise who's who and learning what the other more experienced riders do. Just learning to hold a wheel of national/international level riders has been a challenge - having a go at the breaks will certainly come. The steep learning curve I've been thrown into certainly sees me still very much trying to figure about my abilities as a rider.
    Maybe if you think back to what you were doing in your 2nd ever race up a grade?
    And I certainly respect every rider that's in there racing - certainly more for those girls that's always keen to throw a race tip during a race or before a race.
    So maybe if you come up, say hello and give a pointer or 2 the next time you see me at the start line - that will certainly be a confidence boost and you'll certainly gain my respect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, I think you have missed the point. You need to have respect for the girls you are racing against as well. They are ALL very good cyclist and are very talented. The way you write some of your blog entries does not give this impression.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, we all missed your point. By respect you're asking Grace to work for you? To work for the bunch? To do 'her time on the front' because she is new to the sport? That isn't respect. That is poor racing tactics for a sprinter. You're quick to point out yourself as being part of the 'very good and talented' bunch she is racing against. So you know very well that sprinters sit in. They sit on wheels. They gamble on things coming together for a bunch sprint. For this, they cop the raw end of "good advice" (as above). Nevertheless, they still sit in, hoping for a bunch sprint. This is racing. You know this, you are a very good and talented cyclist.

    Fight all you like on the Internet. Step out of line in any of my races where you are no longer anonymous and you will be pulled.

    The Anonymous Commissaire

    ReplyDelete