Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A win..and learning the craft..

Sunday 16 Oct: A week off the local SKCC club crits led me in search for a race alternative – Glenvale crits hosted by Carnegie Caufield CC. The 25k commute was a nice warm up, especially with a strong tail-wind all the way out.

I rocked up nice and early, bid a few of my training mates g’day and proceeded to sign up at rego. I was a little nervous from not having raced that course before, though the pre-race recce sure helped as I start to become aware of the small, yet important course details as I mature through the sport.

I proceeded to sign up for Men’s D grade (knowing mates who ride faster than me in there), but was told I could not as the records showed that I had previously won a B grade men’s crit. What the??  This handicapping dilemma has happened a few times now. Not sure what all the clubs have going on with the cycling records. Enough said. A small negotiation followed, and I ended up settling to ride in Men’s C, which meant having to wait around for another hour plus.

The icy bay winds made for a long and teeth-chattering wait having not brought enough clothes. Warm up wasted, oh well. Settled down for a coffee, got chatting with a few friends and cheered my mates who were racing in B and D from the sidelines. Once they had finished, I immediately proceeded to warm up the cold muscles again. And the rain came – a massive downpour enough to soak you to the bones. Oh no. Had all fingers and toes crossed that they wouldn’t call the race off as we huddled under the shelter. It came, and it went. A 10min delay, Mr Sun came out and it was race time!

Focused (Photo by Michael Eaddy)

 A fairly big group with 35 starters. Again, with the wet course, I had no idea exactly how long we were racing for. As I looked around, I spotted 3 other women in the group – all with the bright pink headbands on their helmets - today’s goal will be a race against them – CCCC awarded the first 2 women home. And off we went.

With the wet course, everyone was a little cautious at the start, but things immediately got moving after the 2nd lap. I set on to chase down any pink headband riders who were in front of me. 3 of us women were constantly jockeying for bunch position - often appearing one if front of the other. I spotted an early break by a few of the men go – but decided against attempting to follow with none of the girls on the break. The pace immediately pushed higher as the bunch worked to reel the break back in.

As the clock ticked down, it was only myself and 1 other girl racing it out. With the bunch getting tighter and tighter, and at times riding single file, things were really starting to hot up. About 5 laps to go – another surge in the pace. By this time, 2 men had already broken away and the men were racing for 3rd place. I caught onto a swarm and really had no idea where I was in relation to the other women. Focus. Just focus on what was going on in front.
Digging hard (Photo by Michael Eaddy)

Bell lap. Riders were beginning to jostle for a front position on the last corner. Another surge in pace. Not long to go – hang on. Out of the last corner, I dug in hard and sprinted – trying to find whatever empty space there was to the line. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted another pink band sprinting and closing in fast on the other side of the road. We were head to head. Few more meters – come on! I was absolutely committed to the finish, gave it all I had – saw the line – and thrusted my bike forward. Yes!! I had won the women’s race!

1st woman across the line, finished somewhere in the top 10 – I was absolutely pumped. Racing amongst that bunch was a great eye-opener and a good learning experience. Despite the wet roads, this was my first race where everyone held their lines well in such a big bunch. It was also definitely great learning to be part of the peloton and watch the race-craft of the other stronger and more experienced sprinters.

Win #1 of the season – that sweet feeling and a great confidence booster! Thanks James for a new pair of BikeNow knicks, and Leon for a tub of Sukkie ‘lemon crush’ race fuel.  Keep racing, keep learning and keep riding.

1st envelope of the new season. (Photo by Nic Hamley) 


2 comments:

  1. Thats great!! Congrats :)
    How far/long do you race for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! In summer, the criteriums I race are time-based. Ranges from 35min+3 laps up to 1hr+3 laps. Each lap varies depending on the course - generally between 1-3km. Total distance could be anywhere between 25-40km.

    ReplyDelete