Monday, January 2, 2012

National Omnium and onto 2012!

Happy New Year all!! 2011 sure has gone by pretty quickly - it almost feels like I've been riding on a bullet train in the past few months - it has been a steep learning curve gaining experience, building the ropes, learning the spot - but certainly lovin' each and every challenge.  Been having some time off - doing quite a bit of traveling, catching up with the family - though sure ready to get back on my bikes soon. The peak of my 2011 phase was competing the National Omnium back in mid-December. Busy few weeks without much internet access right after the Nationals meant I couldn't tell my tale - so albeit a bit late, here goes. 


15-16 Dec: The moment I stepped into the velodrome that morning, I could sense a whole new level of competition. Music was already starting to pump from the speakers, banners lined the railings, the warm-up centre was split according to the different state teams, BTs were hanging all over the railings....it was an entirely different setting. Dawning my new Victorian skinsuit - I was nervous, excited, pumped with adrenaline - over the next 2 days I'll be rubbing shoulders with world champions! Brilliant! 

With team-mate Laine Hammond in our new Vic skinsuits 


Day 1: 
Flying Lap: My 2nd go at a flying lap - well, just fang it. Got a push from the coach up to the blue line. Without much experience, I had memorised what I needed to do on each build up lap. I looked down at the sign. It said 3 laps to go..hmm..I hesitated for a moment - but knew they must have somehow mucked it up. Just go by instincts. Started the build up, albeit a tad late. No time to think - heard the bell, and off I went. 16.9s. Done. Just like that. That's what sprints are - quick, gone, in a blink of an eye. Could I have gone that bit quicker? Rev that little bit faster? Well - I'll leave those to ponder and work upon next year. For now, a new PB set. I was happy. And I wasn't last on the ladder of 20 either. 

20k Points Score: We lined up along the fence according to where we placed in the flying lap. I was up the back from the start. Right from the start - the pace was....crazy! It was certainly a whole new level. Pulled some turns up the front - but I knew this was going to be one tough race. 30 laps in, I got stuck on last wheel - a jump happened - I missed it, and eventually got dropped. Oh crap....I immediately tried to go over the top of the rider in front, but was quickly revving out on the 93.6 as I tried to close the gap. Running out of steam - I had no choice but to take a lap out. 20 points down - already. Bugger. The remainder of the race I stuck in as hard as I could. No way was I going to get dropped again. It was all or nothing. A small break happened again, and I ended up having to pull the few of us back. Bell lap - tank was absolutely empty but I knew I had to finish. With 3 of us losing a lap, I ended up finishing up last on the points standings. It sure was another level of racing out there! Was a tad disappointed at having dropped a lap - should have been a little more alert - but yet again, I was glad I managed to grit my teeth and hang on in the last 2/3 of the race. 

Elimination : Sprint every 2 laps - last rider across the line would be eliminated. I love the idea of this race - though again, this was only my 2nd ever elimination race. Another one to fang it..I just didn't want to be the first one out. Sprint 1 - I'm still in..good. Sprint 2.. still in. Oh crap - I'm getting washed to the back. Gotta make up ground...I'm running out of track..and just like that..sprint 3, and I was out. It's all about positioning in the race - definitely something to work on. Time to get some rest - a massive day tomorrow! 
More photos at Leanne Cole Photography

Day 2: 
3k Individual Pursuit: The race I had been looking forward to. I was really keen on taking off more time from my PB at the State titles. With a day's racing before, I was a tad nervous - I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, yet certainly wanted to give it my best. Today the focus would be.. cadence. My 3rd pursuit...today I walked up to the line much more confident. Yet my hands started to get sweaty as the timer started - I was breathing both fear and adrenaline. Bang. Off I went. First 2 laps - I was slightly down on schedule. Just relax - don't try to over-sprint. Next 5 laps, I managed to ride up on schedule..good. I could feel the slow fade coming. Next 3 - I was starting to fade more - I was down at this point. 2 laps to go - I tried to take it to the next level. Just focus on the cadence. I could feel myself getting quicker on each lap. It was almost like i was riding in that no man's land - the pain was no longer there. 4:08. Shaved 3s off my PB! I was stoked!! Today, those jelly legs weren't there - I probably had paced myself a little too much - or maybe it was the adrenaline. For now, I was happy with that effort - it was another self discovery - pushing myself that bit harder each time. 

10k Scratch: As I rolled up to line up against the fence, my stomach was doing knots. I felt a little nauseous, but with the adrenaline pumping, I was hoping that would shake it off. Bang - and just like the Points Score - it was fast. Real fast! A number of times I'd almost gotten dropped, but dug in hard to hang on. With 10 laps to go - the pace lifted another notch, and it was game over. I had dropped off, tried to TT back on...but to no avail. Done. Next stop - the bin. And all that Red Bull came spilling out....hmm....maybe a little vodka to that would have helped? I had had my last bite too close to the race - bad idea. 

500TT: Last race of the day!! I was glad - yet almost sad that it had all come to an end so quickly.  Body was feeling a little yuck after that chuck, but I had to give it out. Out of the starting gate, I lifted the back wheel, whoops! Tired and with Simon screaming at the side for me to lift, I almost burst out with laughter at my mistake. Held it back - and off I went. 42.5.. that was way off my mark. I had gone much slower than the states - but knew I had really buggered it up this time. Oh well - lots to work on that start. 

Overall, finished 18th out of the 20 women. I was happy I didn't come in last - and with some of the women eyeing for a spot in the 2012 Olympics, I knew that it was some tough competition, and was happy for the opportunity to race against some really big names. The experience in itself was amazing, and now knowing what the next benchmark is - new goals have been set, and looking forward to the next phase of training and racing. Thanks to all my mates who came to support - it was great to see you in the stands!! And to the Quickcycle team - Simon, riders, parents - it certainly has been a great 3 months on the track - thanks for the support and encouragement - lovin' it more each day - and certainly looking forward to kickin' some new goals in 2012! 
Drawing by Kevin Phang :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment