Sunday, November 13, 2011

Footscray CC Track Race - Turning Nerves into Adrenaline!

Sat 12 Nov: First ever open track race!! Can't believe how quickly the 2 months have passed since I've started proper training on the track - time surely has flown - and all the state events are here. 


Finally came to terms that I'm too short for a Small size bike - and bought my 2nd Planet X track frame that morning - this time in the X-Small. Fits like a glove this one. (let me know if you're keen on buying my other frame!! It's amazing - that's why I bought the exact same one!)  Had coach Simon help me out picking up and building up the bike. Thanks Simon! And as we were building up the bike a few hours before the race he saw it in my eyes - "Are you nervous?". "Yeah, really..." was my reply. Thought I had a poker face - but my eyes were the give-away.. lucky they make mirrored visors!  The velodrome was already starting to buzz with noise from the juniors race before ours, and I certainly couldn't help feeling the nerves. 


As I sat watching and cheering on the young kids, I knew there was only option - to channel every single bit of nerviness into kinetic energy - and make them pedals spin! Fast forward to race start. 
"Sucking in the atmosphere whilst watching the young kids race before it was my turn" 


Race 1: 8 lap scratch heart-starter. There were about 20 of us racing - split into A & B grades - all racing at the same time. Plenty of international riders, VIS, NTID - just had to focus on my race. Certainly was a heart starter with the pace picking up right from the start. Big bunch, no brakes - the Hawthorn Roast a couple of weeks back certainly helped with the bunch experience. Chose a wrong wheel to sit on - and had to go over the top on the last lap. 4th in B grade ( didn't realise one of the girls had gone up the front and was sprinting for 3rd) - somewhere mid-bunch overall - not too bad a start. 


Race 2: 6 lap Handicap qualifier. Being my first race - I was riding first up from the 155m mark - meaning having to ride for 5 and a bit laps. By now, adrenaline was starting to pump through. From the gun - got a push off from Simon, a little stumble not realising when to stand up, but I was pretty soon on my way. Just like a pursuit, I tuck in and spun the legs as quickly as I could. Held it out for 3.5 laps solo before I finally got caught. Swung up, and sat on the 3 riders that had caught onto me. Knowing we had a good gap - ease up a little on the last lap - finished 4th overall - and I was through to my first final! 


Race 3: 12 lap win/out. Kinda like a points score with 3 sprints, except that if you win the first sprint, you're automatically the winner and you can then pull out. Sweet. Being B grade only, the pace wasn't too bad from the start. I thought we had an extra lap - but the bell rung at 7 - and I could not quite get over the top the sprinters who had gone ahead of me. No points for finishing other than first - I ease up a little (shouldn't have!), and someone else jumped - again the bell rang a lap earlier than I expected - had another 'oh crap' moment. Well 2 sprints down - one more left for 3rd place - no excuses this time. Someone else had gone off the front - and having done a bit of chasing - I swung up for the others to have a turn. 2 to go and the pace backed off - the others were tired - and I knew I had to do the work to bring  the rider back. 300m out I chased as hard as I could - but alas the gap had grown too big - ran out of laps - and settled in for 4th...again!


Race 4: Handicap final. 14 riders were through. Legs were starting to feel it now. Again - I was at the 155m mark - though this time I had someone starting just in front of me. This time I had Mitch Barry push me off - thanks Mitch! - had a couple of false 'get ready' - before finally the gun went! With someone just in front - I could not jump hard at the start and had to wait till we were on the banks before I overtook the rider and took off. Same like the first handicap - I rode as hard as I could, but my contact lenses were starting to dry out - and before I knew it I could barely see a thing! Crap! Blink - blink - managed to get one lense it - sensed I was caught and swung up with 2 laps to go. The sprinters jumped on the bell lap - again I copped the full blast of wind in my face. Both lenses had moved - and I could barely make out anything - except moving figures going off in front - fast! I knew I had to just finish it up - and held my line as best as I could. Finished 7th overall. Pretty happy with that effort. 


Overall, not too bad a performance for my first open race. Certainly drew heaps of learning experience, and was great to be able to race amongst national and world-level riders. Managed to meet the rest of the Malaysian National contingent who were racing that night - which was cool. And spoke to world keirin champ Pocket Rocket Azizul Awang too!!  Sucking in the atmosphere of the cheering crowd was brilliant - thanks to the other kids' mums and dads and a couple of mates who were there cheering me on. Having someone scream your name certainly makes you go a whole lot quicker! 


Every race I pick up something new - it's been a massive learning curve thus far. Form's starting to fall in place - hopefully we've timed it right. Next up - State Omnium Champs coming Saturday - bring it on!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment